In 1857, Catherine Harkins, new to St. Louis, decided to start a group there to address the needs of the many poor persons. The number of associations grew throughout the US and they decided to form a national organization to offer consistent formation to all associations and to strengthen the bonds of Charity. The Ladies of Charity, USA was formed in 1960 to unite all the associations in the US with headquarters in St. Louis, MO. In September of 2010, LCUSA celebrated their 50th anniversary. Today there are approximately 6,000 Ladies of Charity in 70 Associations in twenty-one states and the District of Columbia. As the first university organization, St. John’s Ladies of Charities was established in 2009 and accepted 34 members drawn from the administration, faculty, graduate students and staff.